To calculate your IELTS for Canadian immigration, you have to convert the IELTS to CLB level points. IELTS or International English Language Testing System is a globally acceptable English-language test for immigrants who are looking to move to English-speaking nations. It uses a nine-band scale that notes the level of understanding of the language.
IELTS test is of two types – Academics IELTS and General Training IELTS. There are 4 different modules or sections which test English language proficiency. They are reading, writing, listening, and speaking. Immigration to Canada requires a stipulated Canadian Language Benchmark which is also known as CLB.
There are numerous IELTS exam centers around the world, and the exam is known to take around 2 hours and 45 minutes and features 4 modules: speaking, reading, writing, and listening. Note that once you arrive, the IELTS exam location staff will want to verify your identity.
You will be expected to come with either a passport or a valid Permanent Resident Card. If you come to the center with the wrong ID, or none, you will not be allowed to take the exam. You may also be expected to come with two recent identical passport-sized photographs.
It is very crucial to ensure that you can hear the listening module very well. If you can’t hear properly, ensure to raise your hand immediately to inform the invigilator. Also, note that you have 10 minutes after the listening section to fill in your answer sheet.
The writing module tends to have specific word length requirements, and you will be expected to comply with them. If you have asked for special arrangements owing to a disability or other conditions, note that these adjustments will be put in place on the exam day.
IELTS results will be out 13 days from the date you sat for the test and recorded on a Test Report Form. Most often, the exam centers will send copies of your Test Report Form to up to five recognized organizations for you, free of charge.
How to Convert IELTS to CLB for Canadian Immigration
To calculate your IELTS for Canadian immigration, you have to convert the IELTS to CLB level points. Have in mind that the IELTS is one of the four exams that is recognized by the government of Canada for the aim of immigration.
However, since there are numerous tests recognized by the government, they have put in place their own standard benchmark where they convert the test score into the CLB. To help you carry out this calculation, here is the conversion table for IELTS marks to the CLB grades.
- CLB Grade 1: IELTS Speaking (1), IELTS Reading (1), IELTS Writing (1), IELTS Listening (1)
- CLB Grade 2: IELTS Speaking (2), IELTS Reading (1.5), IELTS Writing (2), IELTS Listening (2)
- CLB Grade 3: IELTS Speaking (3), IELTS Reading (2.5), IELTS Writing (3), IELTS Listening (3.5)
- CLB Grade 4: IELTS Speaking (4), IELTS Reading (3.5), IELTS Writing (4), IELTS Listening (4.5)
- CLB Grade 5: IELTS Speaking (4), IELTS Reading (4), IELTS Writing (4), IELTS Listening (5)
- CLB Grade 6: IELTS Speaking (5.5), IELTS Reading (5), IELTS Writing (5.5), IELTS Listening (5.5)
- CLB Grade 7: IELTS Speaking (6), IELTS Reading (6), IELTS Writing (6), IELTS Listening (6)
- CLB Grade 8: IELTS Speaking (6.5), IELTS Reading (6.5), IELTS Writing (6.5), IELTS Listening (7.5)
- CLB Grade 9: IELTS Speaking (7), IELTS Reading (7), IELTS Writing (7), IELTS Listening (8)
- CLB Grade 10: IELTS Speaking (7.5), IELTS Reading (8), IELTS Writing (7.5), IELTS Listening (8.5)
- CLB Grade 11: IELTS Speaking (8), IELTS Reading (8.5), IELTS Writing (8), IELTS Listening (9)
- CLB Grade 12: IELTS Speaking (9), IELTS Reading (9), IELTS Writing (9), IELTS Listening (9)
What is a Good IELTS score for Canada Immigration?
This will depend on the particular Canadian Visa you intend to apply through. Note that to qualify to enter the Express Entry pool of candidates, you will have to attain a language test result that is equivalent to or better than Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 7 if applying as a Federal Skilled Worker candidate.
CLB 7 is equivalent to an IELTS score of 6.0 for speaking, reading, writing, and listening. If you intend to apply via the Canadian Experience Class route in a NOC 0 or A occupation, then you will be expected to have at least a 6.0 in IELTS. However, if your occupation falls under the NOC B skill level, then you can also get into the pool with a 5.0 IELTS score in speaking, writing, and listening, and a 4.0 in reading.
Also have it in mind that the threshold is lower for Federal Skilled Trades candidates, who may be eligible to enter the pool with IELTS scores of 4.0 in writing and speaking, 3.5 in reading, and 4.5 in listening, which all equate to a CLB level 4. Nonetheless, don’t forget the higher your test score, the more points you may be awarded and the better your chances may be of moving to Canada.
Canada is, without doubt, one of the best places in the world for immigrants owing to the high quality of life offered there. While it is necessary to have an IELTS for the Canada PR application, have it in mind that the minimum score tends to vary for every program. You will have to score a minimum of 6 in your IELTS to be eligible for any immigration program to Canada. That is equivalent to CLB (Canadian Language Benchmark) Band 7.